Serving Wisconsin Since 1985

You Need A Pitbull to Protect You & Your Family


Protecting Your Children

When your children are at risk you need a pit bull on your side.


Client Reviews

See what our clients are saying.


Tell Us About Your Case

We're ready to help.


Divorce Tips from a Pitbull Milwaukee Divorce Lawyer

Fighting for your rights during a difficult time

FAQ: How Is Property Divided?

The law recognizes that the marriage is a partnership and if that partnership is dissolved, all marital assets and liabilities should be divided 50/50. The exceptions to this are any property received as a gift or inheritance. This property is not subject to division so long as it is kept separate.

Wisconsin Divorce Property Division

When property is being divided, the court considers outside circumstances before splitting everything 50/50. Some of these factors include:

  • The length of marriage
  • The property brought to the marriage by each party
  • Whether one of the parties has substantial assets not subject to division by the court
  • The contribution of each party to the marriage
  • The economic value to each party's contribution in home making and child care services
  • The age and physical and emotional health of each parties
  • The contribution by one party to the education, training or increased earning power of the other
  • The earning capacity of each party, including educational background, training, employment skills, work experience, length of absence from the job market
  • Custodial responsibilities for children

It is important to be honest to the court and your attorney regarding your assets and property. Contact the family law attorneys at John T. Fields and Associates for assistant in your divorce and to make sure you get the assets you are entitled too.

Milwaukee Area Office: (262) 782-8322

Madison Area Office: (608) 260-7370


Continue reading
856 Hits

FAQ: Should I Move Residence During My Divorce?

If a parent with primary physical placement proposes to move the child to a residence outside the state or within the state at a distance of 150 miles or more from the other parent, he or she must provide notice of the intent to the other parent by certified mail. The other party may object to the court or the family court commissioner. This objection must be done within 15 days of receiving notice. The court or family commissioner will then promptly refer the parents for mediation or other family court counseling services and may appoint a guardian ad litem to determine what will be in the best interests of the child or children.

{Attorney Note: Under current law, the parent with primary physical placement will usually be allowed to move.}

Continue reading
741 Hits

Contact Us

Your Name (*)

Please let us know your name.
Your Email (*)

Please let us know your email address.

Invalid Input
Message (*)

Please let us know your message.

!-- Google Code for Remarketing Tag -->